The historical roots of the Collegiate Church lead back to (and how could it be different in Kaiserslautern) Barbarossa who had a monastery built in this place. After this praemonstratensian monastery was closed in 1511, there was a secular monastery which only existed until 1565, but which continues to exist until today in name.
The Collegiate Church was built on the walls of a previous building. With the choir, the oldest construction section was completed at the end of the 13th century whereas the nave - a high gothic hall construction with narrow side vessels - was not built until the beginning of the 14th century. A constructional feature are the two-story windows.
A marble monument from Professor Knoll in the entry hall of the main entrance reminds of the politically important joining to the "United Protestant Evangelical Christian Church". It shows among others Johannes Calvin, Martin Luther, Philipp Melanchton, Ulrich Zwingli, Ulrich von Hutten and Franz von Sickingen.
Today the Collegiate Church is a Protestant parish church. For visitors it is open daily from 3:00 to 5:00 p.m., furthermore tuesdays and saturdays from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m..
The carillon chimes daily at 09:30 a.m., 11:00 a.m., 12:30 p.m., 3:00 p.m., 4:30 p.m., 6:30 p.m. and 8:00 p.m..
On sundays, public holidays and on marriage ceremonies the play is cancelled at the times of 09:30 a.m. and 11:00 a.m.