On 1 August 1925, the exhibition ground was opened in the eastern part of the city with a Palatine handicrafts exhibition. Old-established people from Kaiserslautern still say "exhibition" whenever they refer to the Volkspark. Today, this place - which was identified by three halls in those days - covers green spaces with a duck pond and the fleet of vehicles of the Technical Works. The former exhibition area looks back to an eventful past. A large pond was laid out here and the whole installation was rounded off by a fountain, which again was accompanied by two horse tamers. Some columns next to the swan pond still remind of the former music pavilion. The radio installation surely was the main attracting point in those days; the 17-acre area furthermore covered dancing and wine marquees, kiosks and pavilions.
Approx. 10 years later, a deer corral as well as a pheasant and goose breeding were built, and trouts as well as goldfishes splashed around in the pond. An air raid in 1945 laid waste to the halls, only one horse tamer "survived" the bombing and can be visited still today. In the spring of 1959, reconstruction of the exposition area was started - under the new name "Volkspark". Today the romantic park does not only present itself under the aspects of close-to-nature visits, but offers with Sunday Fruehschoppen concerts also a further counterpoint within the cultural variety of the city.